- VA Pensions are available for Veterans OR surviving spouses of Veterans
- $22 Billion dollars set aside each year for pension but only 1.5% is used
- Millions of WWII and Korean War Veterans have no idea that this is available to them
- Surviving spouses of Veterans can qualify if they were married to the Veteran at his time of death, and have nor remarried since
(unless the most recent marriage was to a Veteran).
- 90 days active duty; 1 day during war time (periods of war are below)
- Honorably or Medically discharged
- Private paying for Medical Expenses
- Veteran or surviving spouse must show limited net worth. Limited net worth is based on income versus amount of qualifying medical expenses (including cost of care and medical insurance premiums) and adhering to the asset limit of $$130,772. (Assets do not include your personal residence on 2 acres or less or personal property).
- Need for care or supervision is required for the addition of the special Aid and Attendance benefit. The veteran or surviving spouse must receive assistance or supervision from others in order to live a quality life. Generally, it is a need for two 'activities of daily living.'
Periods of War
- WWII-12/17/1941 thru 12/31/1946 (For Merchant Marines: 12/7/1941 thru 8/15/1945)
- Vietnam-Actually served IN Vietnam: 2/28/1961 thru 8/4/1964. Served anywhere: 8/5/1964 thru 5/7/1975 ****If veteran served during first period and was not in Vietnam (in-country) they are not eligible.
- Persian Gulf: 8/2/1990 thru???
Pension Amounts for 2020:
(Amounts Are Subject to Change Without Notice)
- Married Veterans receive $2,295.00 per month/Both Spouses Veterans $3,072.00
- Single Veterans receive $1,936.00 per month
- Widows of Veterans receive $1,244.00 per month
Department of Veterans Affairs pensions do not work like Medicaid. They are based upon the amount of medical expenses paid out of pocket for: (There is also a 3 year look back)
- Home Health Caregivers and Nursing Homes
- Assisted Living Communities and Alzheimer’s Communities
- Prescriptions and Medicare Supplement Insurance
"Our veterans and their spouses have a special place in our hearts. They are to be recognized in keeping we, as Americans, free while having sacrificed much. Of all people deserving of help, it is the veteran and spouse. We honor you with great admiration in what you have given. Thank you."
Call us to find out more information:
Caregivers Connection 4U: 214-718-1286